"Every wrinkle on your face is where a smile has been."
Fine lines and wrinkles are inevitable as we age, but with a little special skin care and these tips, you can help minimize wrinkles.
1. Sun protection The single biggest cause of skin aging is sunlight. You should use a sunscreen every single day of the year. This will help skin from premature aging, as well as guard against burning.
2. Don't smoke Cigarette smoke speeds up the aging process because it strips your skin of oxygen and slows the rate of new skin cell regeneration. It's responsible for giving the skin a gray, sluggish look and can cause fine lines around the mouth.
3. Deep cleanse Many older women don't cleanse their skin as well as they should believing this can lead to dryness and lines. Cleansing your skin properly is essential to ensure your skin is cleared of dead skin cells, dirt and makeup, and gives your skin a fresh, healthy glow. Massage a good creamy cleanser into your skin and rinse off with warm water. Always pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
4. Deep moisturize As well as using a daily moisturizer you can give your skin an extra boost by using a weekly nourishing face mask. Apply to damp skin for extra effect.
5. Boost your circulation Choose a gentle facial scrub or exfoliator and use once a week to gently remove dead skin cells and keep the top layers of your skin glowing with good health.
6. Eat Healthy Foods that are high in antioxidants, such as berries, are great for your skin. Eat blueberries and strawberries as a nutritious snack, or add them to your breakfast cereal or yogurt. It's also vital to eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids can help regenerate your skin at the cellular level. High omega-3 foods also reduce inflammation, help prevent cancer and offer many other health benefits. Foods high in omega-3s include salmon, halibut, sardines, albacore tuna, flaxseed and walnuts.
7. Stay hydrated Water is important for your overall health. Drinking eight glasses of water a day will help you lose weight, aid digestion, improve your energy and concentration, remove toxins from your body and keep your skin glowing and healthy.
8. Be gentle Always be as gentle as you can when applying skin care products and don't drag your skin, particularly around the delicate eye area. A heavy touch can cause your skin to stretch and appear "crepey". Always use a light touch and stroke upwards, rather than drag the skin down. Avoid any products that make your skin feel irritated or itchy and switch to a more gentle formula.
You're never too young to be thinking about caring for your skin. Good habits now will pay off later!